Leaked late Sunday night, the Twitter for iOS version 4.3 is now available for download. The release notes for this update were leaked due to a bug on the iOS 6 version of the App Store.
This update brings new major features that have been available for some time now on the web version of Twitter.
Again the changes included in this update are:
- Expanded Tweets: when you view Tweet details containing links to partner websites, you can now see content previews, view images, play videos and more [please note: this feature is rolling out gradually]
- Enhanced experience around selected events with the best Tweets and photos from those involved
- Push notifications for Tweets: choose to receive notifications from people you follow anytime they tweet or retweet
- Ambient notifications: enables you to see brief non-interruptive notifications in the status bar while you are using the app
- Improvements to search autocomplete for users
- Discover: now indicates when new stories are available for you to view
- Tappable avatars that take you directly to user profiles
- Performance improvements
- Support for password entry in app when experiencing authentication issues
- Hungarian language support
- Updated with new Twitter bird
- Many other tweaks, polish, and bug and crasher fixes
As with previous updates, the iPad version did not suffer any changes whatsoever, which prompts question on when the iPad version will be transformed to the iPhone's design, which will unify the experience.
Also, the question is when these new features (such expandable tweets), which are available as API's, would be available, if they ever are, to third party developers.
Twitter for iOS 4.3 is available as a universal app (iPhone/iPAd/iPod Touch) in the App Store [iTunes Link].