Event though it has a retro name, 8tracks is actually a service that allows users to create their own mixtapes that have a maximum of 30 minutes and are based around a theme, mood or subject. These can be uploaded through the 8tracks site or imported from SoundCloud. These then can be played from a variety of devices.
The iPhone app features:
- Easy ways to find just the right mix: mood, occasion, genre, or artist
- You won’t hear the same songs time and again
- You’ll discover new music you’ll love, no matter what you’re into
- Each mix has a personal touch, including title, photo and description
- You can "follow" the DJs you love (a la Twitter), or "like" or comment on their mixes
- No annoying audio ads (and, for the next month, no banner ads either :))
With the recent update, the app now supports the iPhone 5 and iOS 6.
8tracks is completely free and available in the App Store [iTunes Link].